Swindon v Dundalk SL – Junior Section Match Report

Jul 31, 2015 | Junior Section | 0 comments

Swindon were 2-1 winners at Parker Avenue, Portrush, in the Junior Section Shield final as they narrowly came out on top against Irish team Dundalk.

Swindon showed some neat passing football in the first half and always looked the more likely  team to open the scoring. Sol Pryce was put through on goal early on after a lack of communication along the Dundalk back line but his lob bounced off the crossbar. It was only a matter of time before the English side got their goal and it was their number 9 Pryce who provided it. Sahlin Abubakar burst down the left wing and chipped in a cross which evaded both keeper Mark Byrne and his defenders but dropped perfectly onto the right foot of Pryce.

Swindon continued to create chances, with Dundalk parked in their own half of the pitch. Number 4 Ryan Penny was in delightful form at the heart of the midfield. Abubakar sliced wide from a few yards out after a cross-shot from Pryce and Pryce himself had a weak effort saved by Byrne. Tom Adeyinka was the only player making any headway up front for Dundalk but it was Jamie Farrell who equalised against the run of play, poking into the bottom corner at the end of the half.

Dundalk came out for the second half reinvigorated, ensuring a more evenly matched contest. The first chance of the half went to Swindon’s Rhys Wella who jinked his way through and saw his shot smothered by Byrne. Pryce then charged from near the half way line into the box, beating numerous Dundalk players in the process, but he shot well off-target. Dundalk’s Daniel Mullen almost converted a looping header and Swindon’s Pryce placed over the bar after a driving run from the irresistible Abubakar as the end-to-end nature of the game continued.

Swindon then took the lead and it was Pryce who netted again. Abubakar, who was a nightmare all day, raced away from the defence, sidestepped around Byrne and squared to Pryce, who scored one of the easiest goals he will ever get in an almost identical move to the first goal. That second for Swindon seemed to knock the stuffing out of Dundalk and they had no more opportunities to level. In fact, Swindon nearly added a third when Jayden Bogle turned his man in the penalty area but he was denied by the legs of Byrne. The final whistle went soon after to confirm Swindon as the winners of the Shield.

Match Report by Craig Latimer