Sheffield United vs Sydney United – Junior section match report

Jul 29, 2015 | Junior Section | 0 comments

Day Three of the Dale Farm Milk Cup and the Blades came into the game hoping to put an end to Sydney’s 100% winning record in the Junior Section. 
Sheffield United started the more eager keeping a very good shape and deservedly took the lead inside 11 minutes when Owen Clarke fired a shot off the post and into the net. 
Sydney responded well through John Mamis as he worked his way into the area, but could only shoot straight into the hands off Hugo Warhurst in the Blades’ goal. 
Warhurst was called into action once again on 21 minutes as he made a fine reaction save at his near post to deny Mirza Muratovic. 
Few chances were being created, most of the game was being played in the middle of the park; the conditions not helping as the wind was swirling around Roe Mill. 
Sheffield United where containing Sydney and wouldn’t allow the Australian side to get into their usual attacking rhythm.
Sheffield United started the second half on the front foot and could have doubled their lead as a magnificent run from Rodney Bruce saw him go one-on-one but he pulled his shot wide of the target. 
The Blades went 2-0 ahead when Rev James back heeled the ball beautifully across the box , the ball falling to Clarke to place the ball low into the net past the despairing Jacob Botic. 
Sydney United pulled a goal back with 15 minutes remaining as Joshua To’s shot hit the post, the ball rebounding out to Nikola Pintur, who smashed low into the net.
The game could have been all over with 12 to play when a short free kick by Jordan Docherty found Reon Potts but his smashing drive was stopped by the superb reactions of  Botic. 
However, Sheffield United had their third as a whipped in free-kick from Joe Stanley was punched away by Botic, the defenders miscued their clearance, allowing Clarke to pick up the loose ball, squaring for Rev James to slide into the net to seal the game for the Blades. 
Sydney could have pulled a goal back as Nicholas Lia rose like a salmon to head goalwards only to denied by Warhurst as he caught the ball just under his crossbar. 
It was the Australian side who finished with a flurry nearly pulling a goal back through Pintur’s zipped in a cross to the back post for Lia, but he delayed pulling the trigger, allowing Cameron Hawkes to block the shot and clear . 
This was the last action off the game as Sydney United fell to their first defeat of the tournament. 
Josh Bunting