Right to Dream v Co Londonderry – Premier Section Match Report

Jul 30, 2015 | Premier Section | 0 comments

Right to Dream have progressed into the Dale Farm Vase finals after they beat County Londonderry 2-0 at the Warren.

The Ghanaian’s cruised to victory with both goals coming in the second half. Clinton Antwi broke the deadlock with a converted 49th minute penalty. Clinton Bannerman’s header three minutes from full-time ended any hopes of a Londonderry revival.

Despite their best efforts, the county side were unable to create any clear-cut chances because their opposition maintained the ball superbly. The defeat means Londonderry will have to settle for a third place play-off match tomorrow. 

It was the county team who had the game’s first opportunity when Conor McGuinness stung the goalkeeper’s gloves with a fierce 11th minute drive from distance. However, Londonderry failed to create any momentum afterwards as Right to Dream’s passing and movement was a struggle to dispossess. Despite all their possession, the Ghanaian side were unable to find a breakthrough in the first-half and posed little danger in the final-third.

Right to Dream should have taken an early lead inside six minutes of the second-half, when Enoch Adu headed over a Tiemoko Fofana cross. The Ghanian’s threatened once more from a set-piece three minutes later, but it was Fofana this time who should have done better with his effort when he leaped highest from a corner.

They finally got a deserved goal when Emmanuel Issaka was brought down in the box after making a weaving run past two defenders. Antwi stepped and placed the ball just beyond an outstretched Tom Hagan.

Londonderry’s persistent chasing off-the-ball began to take its toll in the last 10 minutes as Right to Dream were able to pass the ball around the midfield with more ease. The match was put beyond doubt when Fofana found space on the left-flank after an overlap run and clipped the ball towards an unmarked Bannerman who nodded it home.

Match Report by Nathan Webb