Junior Section: Co. Antrim 3-1 GPS

Jul 27, 2016 | Junior Section | 0 comments

A large crowd gathered at the Warren in Portstewart as the local county took on American side FC Bayern.

Antrim almost opened the scoring in the early seconds of the game. The ball was slipped through to Connor Farrelly but he saw his effort well saved by the Bayern keeper. Antrim settled fastest and were playing the better football, limiting Bayern’s chances.

McGonigle was getting a lot of the ball down the right flank but his crosses failed to produce any real threat. In a fairly tight opening half Antrim edged ahead through a goal from Farrelley. He was slipped through and made no mistake in slotting the ball into the bottom corner.

This sprung the county in to life and they began to pile on the pressure. Conn had a shot from distance but his effort was saved before Farrelly’s effort went just wide of the mark. More excellent work down the right from McGonigle seen him win a corner but the cross failed to beat the first man. In a half of very little, Antrim came out on top.

Half time seemed to have came at the wrong time for Antrim who found it hard to get going after the break. Bayern took advantage of this and pressured them, winning a free kick just outside the box but the shot on goal was easily dealt with by Antrim stopper McLaughlin.

A surging run from McCullough seen him pick out a free man in the box but he failed to convert his chance.  Bayern tried to get back in the game but failed to trouble McLaughlin in the Antrim goal.

Just when Bayern seemed to be getting back into the game, Antrim scored again with well struck shot. Bayern didn’t let their heads drop and responded immediately. A ball over the top was controlled on the shoulder by Travian Sousa who then produced a cool finish to make it 2-1, a goal which the Antrim defence will feel they could have dealt with.

With 5 minutes remaining, Antrim killed the game. A low shot from the edge of the box presented Farrally with his second and Antrim’s third of the day.