Honours even at Warren in junior clash

Jul 26, 2023 | Uncategorised | 0 comments

FC America

FC America 1

County Armagh 1

Report by Joel Bell

It was honours even today at The Warren in Portstewart, when FC America took on County Armagh in the Junior Section. FC America started brightly with a couple of early chances. The first came when Mario Casino was played through for a 1 v 1, but it came to nothing after a brilliant save from Carter White in the County Armagh goal. A second chance came again from Casino as he met Mateo Marinda’s cross, he tried the spectacular, through a bicycle kick on the edge on the 6 yard box, but unfortunately for him it flew just wide of the post.

County Armagh began to push to find a desperately needed goal. Skipper Paul Stanfield tried his luck from just outside the box, however the ball drifted wide. With fifteen minutes gone, Sam Green decided to shoot from just outside the box, however this was saved by Alex Adam who was between the sticks for FC America today. Shortly after, Sam Green played the ball into the box which found Shea Byrne who caught it beautifully on the volley. Alex Adam palmed this away nicely in what was possibly the save of the afternoon.

The closest County Armagh got was when the ball smashed off the post. However, it was defender Everett Hosszu-Barrett who was closest to putting the ball in his own net. At the other side Camilo Ramirez was played through, but a fantastic sliding challenge from Shea McCaque stopped the danger.

Byrne tested Adam once again, with Adam being successful in saving the ball. The follow up came from Jack Porter, but he saw his effort fly over the bar. Just before the break, Miranda had a chance to put FC America in front, although his effort was comfortably saved by White.

FC America started the second half strongly. Lucas Haynor broke the deadlock in style. The ball flew into the top right hand corner of the net after his shot from the edge of the box.

County Armagh began to pile on the pressure. Stanfield smashed his freekick effort over the bar in the fifty-eighth minute. Michael Emerson had a chance inside the box but drilled it just wide.

Coming into the dying minutes and Ben McKee played a wonderful ball into the box which found the head of Matthew Dickson who aimed it towards goal and Emerson was there to smash it past Alex Adam to equalise for the boys in orange.

After an additional five minutes of play, referee Finton Coyle, blew for full time.