CSKA vs County Londonderry – Premier section match report

Jul 29, 2015 | Premier Section | 0 comments

CSKA cemented their place in the semi-finals of the Milk Cup after a comprehensive 4-1 victory against County Londonderry at the Riada Stadium in Ballymoney.

The County were the first to threaten after only three minutes as Dylan McCorkell let fly from distance, his attempt went over the crossbar.

On 10 minutes, the Russians went ahead as Koroev Alan drove the ball into the path of Khosonov Khetag and he scored with a sublime finish from 25 yards out.

The goal allowed Moscow to settle, and they began to take a hold of the game with Chalov Fedor striking wide following a great team move. Soon after, the impressive Alan cut inside from the left wing but hit an effort over the crossbar.

The Londonderry goal was under intense pressure, with Khetag being denied as well as Fedor who headed wide following a great cross from Alan.

However, CSKA did double their lead when Alan cut in from the left hand side and outmuscled his markers to slot past Tom Hegan for a deserved goal.

On the half hour mark, Moscow should have strengthened their lead as a great tackle from Adam Harte inadvertently went into the path of Oleynikov Ivan, but he missed from close range.

But CSKA did grab their third goal on the stroke of half-time as a great cross from Khetag found Karmonov Maxim and he headed home from 10 yards.

County Londonderry were handed a lifeline at the start of the second half as Stanisavljevic Aleksandar fouled Conor McGuiness in the box. Up stepped Sheldon Woods and he kept his cool by sending the ‘keeper the wrong way.

However, that lifeline didn’t last long as Moscow went 4-1 ahead as Pukhov Timur scored the goal of the evening. He latched onto a cross and delicately placed the ball into the top corner which drew applause from around the ground.

Tom Hagan put in a very impressive display in the Londonderry goals and denied Khetag on two occasions, before making a great save to halt Alan from notching a brace.

But the save of the evening was saved until the end of the game as Nepliuev Danil’s cross was goal bound before Hagan managed to claw the ball away as Moscow ran out worthy winners.

Jonathan McNabb