Newcastle Utd v Higashi – Premier Section Match Report

Jul 28, 2015 | Premier Section

A Mackenzie McCubbin man of the match performance helped Newcastle United claim a classy 2-0 win against Higashi Fukuoka FC at the Riada Stadium.

The Magpie’s winger was the centre of every attack and proved to be too much of a handful for the Japanese side, as he claimed an assist and a goal to his name, sealing the three points in Newcastle’s opening Premier Section game. Newcastle took the lead 23 minutes into play when McCubbin’s cross from a free-kick found Captain Ben Pollock, who guided it in with his head. McCubbin then got on the goal-sheet himself after a neat finish from outside the box nestled into the bottom corner with 10 minutes of the second half played.With a two-goal cushion made, Newcastle showed their quality with a display of slick passing and composure to ensure victory.

The English team dominated proceedings in the first half, but a quick break lead to Higashi striker Yudai Nishiyama forcing an acrobatic save from goalkeeper Paul Woolston after 18 minutes. Newcastle responded by winning a corner two minutes later. McCubbin’s delivery was met by Pollock, but his effort was smothered off the line and eventually cleared after a goalmouth scramble.The English side took the lead in similar fashion after a Newcastle player was impeded on the right flank, McCubbin whipped in a free-kick which once again connected with Pollock, this time his strike found the back of the net and the captain wheeled off in delight.

Newcastle then tried to double their lead but they were unable to find the net again in the first half thanks to some resolute defending from Higashi. The second half began much like the first with Newcastle in charge. Winger Oliver Long linked up well with McCubbin who came into the middle. The youngster then weaved his way past four defenders before driving his shot from distance over the bar. However, it only took another six minutes for McCubbin to get his goal. Once again, he was found in the middle and after a quick glance, he curled the ball low from distance straight into the corner which left the goalkeeper stranded. Higashi failed to gather any momentum after this and Newcastle were comfortable winners in the end.

Match Report by Nathan Webb