Match Report: Plymouth Argyle v Chivas Guadalajara

Jul 25, 2017 | Junior Section

Mexican side Chivas secured their second win of the tournament with an excellent performance at Parker Avenue against English Academy side Plymouth Argyle.


However, the Mexican outfit didn’t have it all their own way in this entertaining clash and it was the English side that bossed the early proceedings.


The first chance of the game fell to Plymouth and only for a last ditch block from a Mexican defender, the English side could have gone in front.


Five minutes later the English outfit were ahead. Dominic Osbourne pounced on a poor first touch from the Chivas centre half and he kept his composure to calmly slot past the ‘keeper to make it 1-0.


However, that was one of Osbourne’s final contributions as moments later he was clattered into in the centre of the park and after a lengthy stoppage he was carried off in a stretcher.


The lengthy break allowed Chivas to gather their thoughts and regroup and moments later they were level.


A quick break down the left hand side saw the ball squared to Hector Gonzalez and the Mexican striker struck through the ball and fired past Shaun Hillier in the Plymouth goal.


Gonzalez was a real thorn in the side of the English defence and moments later he pounced on a mistake and his low drive was tipped round the corner by Hillier.


Moments later there was another stoppage as Hillier was hurt claiming a high ball and after a lengthy period of treatment, Hillier dusted himself down to take his place between the sticks.


Chivas were left wondering how they hadn’t edged themselves in front when a quick counter down the right saw Hector Gonzalez slide the ball into the path of Carlos Arce, who looked like he was destined to find the back of the net, but Hillier produced a stunning point blank save to keep it all square.


However, moments later Hillier was helpless to stop the Mexican side going in front just before the interval.


Arce pounced on a great ball to nod home at the back post to give Chivas a well-deserved second goal.


This goal seemed to knock the stuffing out of the English side and Chivas were on top throughout an action packed second half where Plymouth were left to spend a large amount of time defending.


It was 3-1 with 40 minutes gone when Joseph Darian cut inside and poked the ball into the top corner of the goal after some good work down the flank.


Plymouth were working hard, but were missing the presence of the impressive Osbourne in attack.


It was 4-1 to the Mexicans with minutes left when Ever Corono latched on to an excellent pass from Miguel Gomez to fire a fierce effort past Hillier and off the bar to complete the scoring and secure Chivas’ second win of the tournament and leave them well in contention for a semi-final spot for the second time in a year.


Plymouth Argyle 1

Chivas Guadalajara 4


Credit, Sam Gamble @Sam_Gamble88