Match Report: Co Antrim v Chivas

Jul 23, 2018 | Junior Section

2017 Junior champions County Antrim had to settle for a share of the spoils at a rain sodden Anderson Park on day one in the Junior section of the 2018 Super Cup NI.


It was Antrim that took a second half lead just after the interval, but with just 10 minutes left on the clock the Mexican visitors were rewarded for their efforts as they equalised and in truth they should have claimed all three points after a strong finish.


The persistent rain fall made conditions difficult for both sides and neither side really settled in the early stages.


Chivas had the first sighting at goal with 4 minutes on the clock, but just two minutes later a mistake by the Antrim ‘keeper Connor Friel almost proved costly.


Friel took a heavy touch following a back-pass but the Chivas striker saw his charge down shave the post and Antrim breathed a huge sigh of relief.


Antrim soon began to find their rhythm and Kian Storey made a dangerous run down the right, but his cross was acrobatically cleared by the Mexican centre half.


Chivas were always a threat on the counter and a sloppy pass was intercepted and the Chivas striker had his shot well blocked and the resulting cross was glanced wide by an onrushing Mexican winger.


It was the Mexican side that ended the half the stronger and they should have taken the lead just before the interval. Friel failed to deal with the high ball and he was a spectator as a half volley rattled off the bar and the bouncing ball skidded wide of the post.


Whatever was said in the Antrim changing room at half time had its desired effect as the County side took the lead in the early stages of the second half.


Sean Paul McAllister’s darting run down the left saw him slide a low ball into the box. The Mexican ‘keeper pushed the cross away from the six yard box but Ross McCausland was alert to fire home from close range.


This goal shocked the Mexicans into action, but the Antrim rear-guard were standing strong. Just when it looked like Antrim had curtailed the pressure, Chivas scored with just 10 minutes left.


A swift counter attack saw Chivas find an extra man at the back post and Aldair De Jesus Vazquez Manjarrez slid the ball past the advancing Friel to level the scores.


In what was an end to end encounter it was the Mexicans that ended the stronger and a strong run down the right saw the ball slid into the path of Sebastian Perez Bouquet Perez, but he blazed over.


Minutes later Perez was given an opportunity to make up for this missed opportunity but he fired wide when well placed.
Shortly after the referee blew the final whistle and both sides were left to settle for a share of the spoils.


Sam Gamble