Junior Section Match Report – Plymouth Argyle 10 – 1 Alset Colombia

Jul 25, 2016 | Junior Section

Plymouth Argyle ran out comprehensive 10-1 winners over Alset Columbia in a one sided affair in the Junior Section at Clough on Monday afternoon.

The deadlock was broken on 5 minutes after a powerful shot by Aaron Goulty was parried by Columbian goalkeeper Santiago Ospina, striker Mick Peck was on hand to convert and give the English side the lead.

Argyle kept up the pressure and doubled their advantage on 10 minutes when captain Isaac Burdon headed home from Aaron Goulty’s crossed free kick.  Just as the Columbians had finally managed to get something of a foothold in the game disaster struck on 15 minutes when goalkeeper Ospina was sent off for handling the ball outside his area, denying a clear goal scoring opportunity in the process.  The resulting free kick may have come to nothing but the match was effectively ended as a contest six minutes later when Mani Skett raced clear on goal and calmly slotted past the replacement goalkeeper.

Plymouth extended their advantage further just two minutes later when Aaron Goulty’s free kick was saved but slotted home by Mick Peck on the rebound.  Just as the south coast side were threatening to run riot, Alset Columbia scored a stunning consolation effort, completely against the run of play.  The Columbians won a free kick just outside the box and up stepped defender Juan Zarate to produce a sublime finish into the top corner beyond the outstretched hand of goalkeeper Max Childs.

Any hopes of a stirring fightback from the South Americans were quickly extinguished when Mani Skett made it 5-1, pouncing on a rebounded effort by Dominic Osbourne.  Captain Isaac Burdon struck the post right on the stroke of half time as Argyle finished strongly.

The second half proved to be the same one-way traffic as the first.  Plymouth grabbed their sixth goal on 32 minutes when substitute Kieran Rowe headed home a neat cross from the left before fellow sub Rubin Wilson made it 7-1 just four minutes later when he produced a controlled finish from inside the box.

The scoreline was extended even further in Argyle’s favour on 41 minutes when Rubin Wilson again scored to bag a brace from the substitutes bench, being in the right place at the right time to pounce on yet another rebounded effort. The ninth goal came with just two minutes remaining on the clock as Rio Garside calmly slotted the ball into the bottom corner following a goalmouth scramble. A stunning 20 yard strike from midfield completed the scoring in injury time as Plymouth Argyle recorded a convincing 10-1 win over their Columbian counterparts.

This was a superb performance from the Plymouth lads who will be full of confidence going into tomorrow night’s clash with Rangers in Limavady (7pm) whilst Alset Columbia must regroup before taking on MS Select in Ballymoney tomorrow (12 noon).

Match Report by Jordan Miller.