Premier Super Cup NI Semi Final: Hibernian 3-1 Co. Down

Jul 28, 2016 | Premier Section | 0 comments

The game started with a ferocious pace. A well struck shot from a Hibs player was superbly saved by Down keeper Matthew Davidson. Then after a dodgy moment in the Down defence Fraser Murray almost put the Scottish outfit in front, but he was smothered by Davidson. Then soon after, Down almost opened the scoring themselves, Niall Cassidy’s header looping agonisingly over the bar. Hibs then broke in numbers but Gullan was hauled down in the attacking third before seeing his dead ball effort drift wide. Hibs clearly settled quicker and Down were limited to shots from distance. None of which troubled Jordan Brown in the Hibs goal. There were limited clear cut chances in the half with neither side being able to get the ball down and dictate the play. As the half drew to a close Down were finishing it the strongest. Some neat play on the edge of the box seen a ball slipped through the defence but the attacker was offside. Then Hibs went in front. Some nice trickery down the right flank seen Gallantes fouled by Calderwood. Gullan missed the penalty but the rebound was hammered home by Callum Donaldson. Down were looking for a swift response and almost got it but Aaron Devlin’s shot sailed over.

Down settled quicker in the second half and started getting the ball down and passing it around nicely. Half time seemed to have came at the wrong time for Hibs who couldn’t get going in the second half and this showed as 2 players were booked in quick succession for incidents involving frustration.  Down then had a penalty appeal quashed as Hibs stopper Brown looked to have brought down the incoming Cassidy. Down were piling on the pressure looking for an equaliser and Hibs had their backs to the wall. Down almost had deserved equaliser but Cassidy’s snapshot was well saved at the near post. Then came a massive decision from the referee. He awarded a penalty to Down for a shove inside the box. Sharvin stepped up and slotted it home to make it 1-1. The yet another penalty. This time for Hibs. An unnecessary foul just inside the box gave Gullan the chance to put his side in front and he buried it! It was 2-1 and it was game on! Gullan grabbed his second of the night with a superb curling effort in to the top corner. In an end to end game Down probed for another equaliser but it just wasn’t meant to be as Hibs marched on to the SupercupNI final.