Chivas claim SuperCupNI Globe

on Friday, 28 July 2017. Posted in News, Latest News

Elia Boutros reports from Anderson Park, Coleraine...

Chivas claim SuperCupNI Globe

Chivas played Man United in the SuperCup Globe final in Coleraine. Both sides had a lot of talent on show and fans enjoyed a high quality game. Chivas, Javier Hernandez's former side, attacked United from the very first whistle.


Michael Ramos provided Chivas with a good option on the left wing as he crossed the ball dangerously into the United box. This was repeated on more than one occasion.


Teden Mengi won a tackle high up the pitch and started United's first attack of the game. His pass to David Mayamona was intercepted by a Chivas defender who reacted swiftly to the through ball.


Kevin Mariscal scored the first goal of the game, an amazing finish from outside the box that beat Mastny in the United goal.  


Shoretire tried to make the score 1-1 with a free kick on the edge of the box, however the Chivas keeper made a good save keeping his team in the lead.


Chivas' lead was doubled when Mastny in the United goal brought down an opposing attacker giving away a penalty. Hector Gonzalez stepped up and slotted the ball past the diving Mastny to give Chivas a 2 goal cushion.  Gonzalez could have completed his brace when a good passing move by the Mexican side resulted in him being played through on goal, he perhaps got a little bit over-excited as he struck the ball wide off the post.


HT 2-0


United started the second half brightly as they kept the ball well and pressed at a high intensity. Anthony Elanga ran down the left wing and picked out Mengi in the middle. Mengi used his pace and power to escape a defender but was eventually brought down by the Chivas player. Peplow struck a low free kick into the wall and Chivas hastily cleared their lines.


Chivas then played some beautiful tiki taka style football as they passed their way up the pitch and then crossed the ball across the 6 yard box. Michael Ramos tapped the ball into the net to score the Mexican's third leaving United with a mountain to climb.


Chivas then wrapped up the match with a beautiful first time shot from Guajardo that left the keeper motionless and rippled the back of the net. 4-0 to Chivas and they looked to have 2 hands firmly on the trophy.


Throughout the game Chivas showed a hunger which gave them the edge for the full sixty minutes. After a two year absence, this United team performed well throughout the tournament but will be disappointed not to bring home silverware.


Felicitaciones Chivas, commiserations United. Both teams gave 100% in a exciting game for all. 


Credit, Elia Boutros